Describe ways 2 comtribute 2 an environment that promotes well being
To answer this question, you must first look at the exemplification to see what well-being includes. And that aspect relates to:
In addition to supporting people with personal care and independent living skills, it is really important to support their well-being which is essential to living a fulfilled, happy and healthy life.
So, basically you have to think of the ways you could support the aspects mentioned above. A person's wellbeing may be helped by:
- a sense of hope
- good self-esteem (feeling good about yourself)
- an ability to communicate your wants and needs
- an ability to make and develop relationships with other people including acquaintances, friendships, family ties and close intimate relationships
- an ability to show warmth and affection
- experiencing pleasure or enjoyment
- becoming more self-confident
- becoming more independent
- having a sense of achievement
- making your own choices and decisions and having control over your life
- coping with stress and problems
- having someone to share important things with
- knowing you are valued and important
- feeling included
- feeling safe and secure
For example, to create opportunities for the people you support to explore their identity, to think about 'who I am?" and to celebrate uniqueness, you could:
- help to make a scrap book of special events
- make a family tree
- help them to write their life story
- make a collection of items that relate to their faith or culture
- make a collection of postcards of all the places they have visited
More details and a study guide about promoting a person's wellbeing can be found here: Person centered approaches when supporting people with a learning disability by Liz Tilly.
Find out how to become a social worker at Learnhowtobecome.org.
Of interest, do you know why people with disabilities are the best social care trainers? Get the answer from The Guardian.