Wot is the literal translation of the gaelic name of Pittodrie?
Pittodrie originates from a Gaelic term for a place of manure, as the land was built upon a former stable for police horses and a neighboured rubbish dump.
Pittodrie Stadium is the football ground of the original Aberdeen Football Club. The ground is situated 500 metres from the North Sea. It was leased from Mr Knight Erskine of Pittodrie, a village located 20 miles north-west of Aberdeen.
The first game at Pittodrie Park took place on 2nd September 1899 against Dumbarton (7-1). When the ground was renovated in 1978, it became the first all-seater covered stadium in Britain. But due to the age of the ground, Pittodrie will no longer be home to Scottish Premier League football club Aberdeen. The new stadium would be relocated in Loirston Loch, near Cove.
Read Abeedeen Football Club's latest news and features here.